New Delhi, India (Urban Transport News): The Union Cabinet, chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi has approved the Indian Railways’ proposal for the redevelopment of 3 major railway stations with an approximate total investment of nearly Rs 10,000 Crores. The stations to be redeveloped in line with the international airport are New Delhi Railway Station, Ahmedabad Railway Station and Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj Terminus (CSMT) Mumbai.
Railway Station is an important and central place for any city. Prime Minister Narendra Modi has given importance to station development in the transformation of Railways.
The cabinet decision gives a new direction to the station development. Work on the redevelopment of 199 Stations is going on. Out of these, tenders have been issued for 47 stations. Master planning and design for the remaining are underway. Work is progressing fast for 32 stations.
The Cabinet has also sanctioned an investment of Rs 10,000 crore for these three big stations.
Salient features of the stations
The standard elements of station design will be -
- Every station will have a spacious roof plaza (36/72/108 m) with all passenger amenities at one place along with spaces for retail, cafeterias, and recreational facilities.
- Both sides of the city will be connected with the station, with the station building on both sides of the Railway tracks.
- Facilities like food court, waiting lounge, playing area for children, place for local products, etc will be available.
- The stations located within the city will have a city center-like place.
- To make the stations comfortable, there will be proper illumination, wayfinding/signages, acoustics, lifts/escalators/travelators.
- The master plan has been prepared for smooth movement of traffic, with adequate parking facilities.
- There will be integration with other modes of transportation like metro, bus etc.
- Green Building Techniques will be used, with solar energy, water conservation/recycling and improved tree cover.
- Special care will be taken to provide Divyang-friendly facilities.
- These stations will be developed on the concept of intelligent building.
- There will be segregation of arrival/departures, Clutter free platforms, improved surfaces, fully covered platforms.
- The stations will be safe with the installation of CCTV and access control.
- These will be iconic station buildings.
All these stations will be redeveloped under the close supervision of the Rail Land Development Authority (RDLA).