Image Credit: Bombardier Transportation
Kanpur Metro is under construction mass rapid transit system to provide better public transport facilities to citizens of the Kanpur City of Uttar Pradesh.
- Project Name: Kanpur Metro Rail Project
- Owner: Uttar Pradesh Metro Rail Corporation Limited
- Project Type: Mass Rapid Transit System (MRTS)
- Project Cost: INR 11,076 Crores
- Funding Pattern: Govt. of India, Govt. of Uttar Pradesh and European Investment Bank (EIB)
- Completion Target: 2022
Kanpur Metro Rail Network
Line-1 (Priority Corridor): IIT Kanpur - Moti Jheel
- Project Cost: INR 11,076 crores
- Length: 8.7 km
- Total Stations: 9 (Elevated)
- Station Names: IIT Kanpur, Kalyanpur Railway station, Kanpur University, Gurudev Chauraha, Geeta Nagar, Rawatpur Railway Station, Moti Jheel
- Depot: Government Polytechnic
- Status: Under construction
Line-1 Extension: Moti Jheel - Naubasta
- Project Cost: NA
- Length: 15.085 (Elevated - 6.464 km, Underground - 8.621 km)
- Total Stations: 13
- Station Names: [Moti Jheel], Harsh Nagar, Gwai, Chunni Gunj, Bada Chauraha, Phool Bagh, Kanpur Central Railway Station, Jhakarkati Bus Terminal, Transport Nagar, Rania, Kendranchal, Pashupati Nagar, Budh Nagar, Naubasta.
- Status: Approved.
Line-2: Agriculture University - Jaurali
- Project Cost: NA
- Total Length: 8.6 km
- Total Stations: 9
- Station Names: Agriculture University, Rawatpur Railway, Kakadeo, Vijay Nagar Chauraha, Govind Nagar, Barra-7 Road, Barra-8, Jarauli.
- Status: Under consideration
- TYPSA-Italferr JV: General Consultancy (Rs 260.62 Crore)
- Systra MVA Consulting: Detailed Design Consultant (DDC)
- Afcons Infrastructure Limited: Design and construction of elevated viaducts and 9 stations of priority corridor from IIT Kanpur to Moti Jhil (Rs 735 Crore).
- KSM Bashir Mohammad & Sons: Construction of Metro Depot-cum-Workshop at Government Polytechnic (Rs 83.9 Crore).
- Bombardier Transportation: Supply of Rolling Stock Coaches including Signalling System.
Progress so far:
- Jan 2018: UP Government Cabinet approved the plan for Metro Rail projects in Kanpur, Agra, and Meerut.
- Jun 2018: Union Finance Ministry gave its in-principle approval to Kanpur Metro along with Agra, Meerut, Indore, and Bhopal.
- Sep 2018: UP Govt. sent a revised Detailed Project Report (DPR) of the Metro Rail project to Central Govt. for approval.
- Nov 2019: UP Chief Minister laid the foundation stone of the project.