Kanpur Metro is under construction mass rapid transit system to provide better public transport facilities to citizens of the Kanpur City of Uttar Pradesh.
- Project Name: Kanpur Metro Rail Project
- Owner: Uttar Pradesh Metro Rail Corporation Limited
- Project Type: Mass Rapid Transit System (MRTS)
- Project Cost: INR 11,076.48 Crores
- Shares: Govt. of India and Govt. of Uttar Pradesh
- External Funding: European Investment Bank (INR 5552 crores)
- Completion Target: 2021 (Priority Corridor), 2024 (Phase 1)
- Status: Operational - since Dec 28, 2021
Kanpur Metro Rail Network
- Total Length: 8.728 km
- Total Stations: 9
- Station Names: IIT Kanpur, Kalyanpur Railway Station, SPM Hospital, CSJM University, Gurudev Chauraha, Geeta Nagar, Rawatpur Railway Station, Lala Lajpat Rai Hospital and Moti Jhil.
- Depot: Polytechnic Depot (Near Gurudev Chauraha)
Line-1: IIT Kanpur - Moti Jheel - Naubasta
- Project Cost: INR 11,076 crores
- Length: 23.785 km (Elevated- 15.164 km, Underground-8.621 km)
- Total Stations: 22 (Elevated-18, Underground-4)
- Station Names: IIT Kanpur, Kalyanpur Railway Station, SPM Hospital, CSJM University, Gurudev Chauraha, Geeta Nagar, Rawatpur Railway Station, Lala Lajpat Rai Hospital, Moti Jhil, Chunniganj, Naveen Market, Bada Chauraha, Nayaganj, Birhana Road, Kanpur Central Railway Station, ISBT Jhakarkatti, Old Transport Nagar, Kidwai Nagar North, Kidwai Nagar South, Yashoda Nagar, Baudh Nagar and Naubasta.
- Depot: Government Polytechnic
- Status: Partly Operational.
Line-2: Agriculture University - Barra 8
- Project Cost: NA
- Total Length: 8.6 km
- Total Stations: 8
- Station Names: Agriculture University, Rawatpur Railway, Kakadeo, Vijay Nagar Chauraha, Govind Nagar, Barra-7 Road and Barra-8.
- Status: Under consideration
Major Contract Awarded
- TYPSA-Italferr JV: General Consultancy (Rs 260.62 Crore)
- Systra MVA Consulting: Detailed Design Consultant (DDC)
- Afcons Infrastructure Limited: Construction of elevated viaducts and 9 stations of 8-km priority corridor from IIT Kanpur to Moti Jhil (Rs 735 Crore).
- SAM (India) Builtwell: Architectural finishing at 9 stations from IIT Kanpur to Moti Jheel. (Rs 150 crores).
- KSM Bashir Mohammad & Sons: Construction of Metro Depot-cum-Workshop at Government Polytechnic (Rs 83.9 Crore).
- Gulermak-Sam India JV: Construction of 8.6 km underground section between Motijheel to Nayaganj including four stations (Rs 769.23 Crore).
- Alstom (Bombardier Transportation): Supply of Rolling Stock Coaches including Signalling System.
- HFCL: Supply of Telecommunication Systems.
Progress so far
- Jan 2018: UP Government Cabinet approved the plan for Metro Rail projects in Kanpur, Agra, and Meerut.
- Jun 2018: Union Finance Ministry gave its in-principle approval to Kanpur Metro along with Agra, Meerut, Indore, and Bhopal.
- Sep 2018: UP Govt. sent a revised Detailed Project Report (DPR) of the Metro Rail project to Central Govt. for approval.
- 15 Nov 2019: UP Chief Minister laid the foundation stone of the project.
- 10 Nov 2021: Trial run started on 9-km priority corridor.
- 28 Dec, 2021: 9-km priority section between IIT & Motijhil opened for the public.