Image Credit: Bombardier Transportation
Kanpur Metro is under construction mass rapid transit system to provide better public transport facilities to citizens of the Kanpur City of Uttar Pradesh.
- Project Name: Kanpur Metro Rail Project
- Owner: Uttar Pradesh Metro Rail Corporation Limited
- Project Type: Mass Rapid Transit System (MRTS)
- Project Cost: INR 11,076 Crores
- Funding: Govt. of India, Govt. of Uttar Pradesh and European Investment Bank (EIB)
- Completion Target: 2022
Kanpur Metro Rail Network
Line-1: IIT Kanpur - Moti Jheel - Naubasta
- Project Cost: INR 11,076 crores
- Length: 23.785 km (Elevated- 15.164 km, Underground-8.621 km)
- Total Stations: 22 (Elevated-18, Underground-4)
- Station Names: IIT Kanpur, Kalyanpur Railway Station, SPM Hospital, CSJM University, Gurudev Chauraha, Geeta Nagar, Rawatpur Railway Station, Lala Lajpat Rai Hospital, Moti Jheel, Chunniganj, Naveen Market, Bada Chauraha, Nayaganj, Birhana Road, Kanpur Central Railway Station, ISBT Jhakarkatti, Old Transport Nagar, Kidwai Nagar North, Kidwai Nagar South, Yashoda Nagar, Baudh Nagar and Naubasta
- Depot: Government Polytechnic
- Status: Under construction
Line-2: Agriculture University - Jaurali
- Project Cost: NA
- Total Length: 8.6 km
- Total Stations: 9
- Station Names: Agriculture University, Rawatpur Railway, Kakadeo, Vijay Nagar Chauraha, Govind Nagar, Barra-7 Road, Barra-8 and Jarauli.
- Status: Under consideration
Major Contract Awarded
- TYPSA-Italferr JV: General Consultancy (Rs 260.62 Crore)
- Systra MVA Consulting: Detailed Design Consultant (DDC)
- Afcons Infrastructure Limited: Construction of elevated viaducts and 9 stations of 8-km priority corridor from IIT Kanpur to Moti Jhil (Rs 735 Crore).
- KSM Bashir Mohammad & Sons: Construction of Metro Depot-cum-Workshop at Government Polytechnic (Rs 83.9 Crore).
- Gulermak-Sam India JV: Construction of 8.6 km underground section between Motijheel to Nayaganj including four stations (Rs 769.23 Crore).
- Bombardier Transportation: Supply of Rolling Stock Coaches including Signalling System.
- HFCL: Supply of Telecommunication Systems
Progress so far
- Jan 2018: UP Government Cabinet approved the plan for Metro Rail projects in Kanpur, Agra, and Meerut.
- Jun 2018: Union Finance Ministry gave its in-principle approval to Kanpur Metro along with Agra, Meerut, Indore, and Bhopal.
- Sep 2018: UP Govt. sent a revised Detailed Project Report (DPR) of the Metro Rail project to Central Govt. for approval.
- Nov 2019: UP Chief Minister laid the foundation stone of the project.