Kolkata Metro is India's oldest mass rapid transit system project serving the city of Kolkata since 24th October 1984.
- Project Name: Kolkata Metro Rail Project
- Owner: Ministry of Railways, Govt. of India
- Operator: Indian Railways/Kolkata Metro Rail Corporation
- Executing Body: Rail Vikas Nigam Limited (RVNL)
- Project Type: Mass Rapid Transit System (MRTS)
- Project Cost: Rs 47523.8 crores
- Total Network: 128.826 km (6 Lines)
- Status: Operational since 24 October 1984
Kolkata Metro Rail Network
Operational: 39.24 km | Under Construction: 55.72
Line 1 (Blue Line | North-South Corridor) : Dakshineswar – Kavi Subhas Nagar
- Route length: 31.32 km (Operational)
- Total Stations: 26 (At grade-2, Elevated-9, Underground 15)
- Project Cost: Rs 415.87 crores
- Stations: Kavi Subhash, Shahid Khudiram, Kavi Nazrul, Gitanjali, Masterda Surya Sen, Netaji, Mahanayak Uttam Kumar, Rabindra Sarobar, Kalighat, Jatin Das Park, Netaji Bhavan, Rabindra Sadan, Maidan, Park Street, Esplanade, Chandni Chowk, Central, Mahatma Gandhi Road, Girish Park, Shobhabazar Sutanuti, Shyambazar, Belgachhia, Dum Dum, Noapara, Baranagar and Dakshineswar.
Line 2 (Green Line | East-West Corridor): Sector V – Sealdah
- Route length: 16.72 km (Operational-9.1 km, Under construction-7 km)
- Total Stations: 12 (Elevated-6, Underground-6)
- Proejct Cost: Rs 8,575 crores
- Operational Stations: Sector V, Karunamoyee, Central Park, City Centre, Bengal Chemical, and Salt Lake Stadium, Phoolbagan and Sealdah
- Depot: Salt Lake
Under Construction Lines
Line 2 (Green Line | East-West Corridor): Howrah Maidan - Phoolbagan
- Route length: 9.1 km (Underground)
- Total Stations: 5
- Stations: Sealdah, Esplanade, Mahakaran, Howrah and Howrah Maidan.
Line 3: (Purple Line) Joka - Esplanade
- Route Lenth: 16.72 km
- Total Stations: 14 (Elevated 9, Underground-5)
- Project Cost: Rs 2,619 crores
- Stations: Diamond Park, IIM, Joka, Thakurpukur, Sakherbazar, Behala Chowrasta, Behala Bazar, Taratala, Majerhat, Mominpur, Kidderpore, Victoria, Park Street and Esplanade.
Line 4: (Yellow Line) Noapara - Barasat
- Route Lenth: 16.215 km (Under construction)
- Total Stations: 10 (Elevated 5, Underground-5)
- Project Cost: Rs 4,829.57 km
- Stations: Noapara, Dum Dum Cantonment, Jessore Road, Biman Bandar, Birati, Michael Nagar, New Barrackpore, Madhyamgram, Hridaypur and Barasat.
Line 5:(Pink Line) Baranagar - Barrackpore
- Route Lenth: 12.40 km
- Total Stations: 11 (All Elevated)
- Project Cost: Rs 2,069.6 crores
- Stations: Baranagar, Kamarhati, Agarpara, Sodepur, Panihati, Subhash Nagar, Khardah, Tata Gate, Titagarh, Talpukur and Barrackpore.
Line 6 (Orange Line | Airport Metro): Kavi Subhas - Biman Bandar
- Route Lenth: 29.87 km
- Total Stations: 24 (At grade-1, Elevated-22, Underground-1)
- Project Cost: Rs 29,014.76 crores
- Stations: Kavi Subhash, Satyajit Ray Film and Television Institute, Mukundapur, Kalikapur, Ruby Hospital, VIP Bazar, Bantala, Science City, Beliaghata, Chingrighata, Nicco Park, Salt Lake Sector V, Technopolis, Bidhan Nagar, Sub CBD, CBD-1, CBD-2, New Town, Convention Center, Sub CBD-2, City Centre, Rabindra Tirtha, VIP Road, Bima Bandar (Airport).
Progress So Far
- 1970: Construction work was started.
- 24 Oct 1984: 3.40 km section between Esplanade – Netaji Bhawan on Line 1 opened.
- 12 Nov 1984: 2.15 km section between Dum Dum – Belgachhia on Line 1 opened.
- 29 Apr 1986: 4.24 km section between Netaji Bhawan – Tollygunge on Line 1 opened.
- 13 Aug 1994: 1.63 km section between Belgachhia – Shyambazaar on Line 1 opened.
- 02 Oct 1994: 0.71 km section between Esplanade – Chandni Chowk on Line 1 opened.
- 19 Feb 1995: 1.92 km section between Shyam Bazaar – Girish Park on Line 1 opened.
- 19 Feb 1995: 0.60 km section between Chandni Chowk – Central on Line 1 opened.
- 27 Sep 1995: 1.80 km section between Central – Girish Park on Line 1 opened.
- 22 Aug 2009: 5.85 km section between Tollygunge – Garia Bazar on Line 1 opened.
- 07 Oct 2010: 3.00 km section between Garia Bazar – New Garia on Line 1 opened.
- 10 Jul 2013: 2.09 km section between Dum Dum – Noapara on Line 1 opened.
- 13 Feb 2020: 5.3 km section between Sector V – Salt Lake Stadium on Line 2 opened.
- 05 Oct 2020: 1.7 km section between Salt Lake Stadium – Phoolbagan on Line 2 opened.
- 21 Feb 2021: 4.11 km section between Noapara – Dakshineswar on Line 1 opened.
Metro Authority Contact details
Kolkata Metro Rail Corporation Ltd.
HRBC Complex,KMRCL Bhawan
2nd & 3rd Floor,Munsi Premchand Sarani
Kolkata - 700021